Imagine this: you’ve relocated to a vibrant new neighborhood, and right now, you’re craving a steaming cup of coffee and a freshly baked cinnamon roll as you lazily scroll through your Instagram feed.
And then, a captivating post appears on your feed, featuring a picturesque local cafe in a quiet location less than a block away from you. Intrigued, you decide to pay them a visit. And just like that, you find your latest hangout.
That’s the power of adding a custom location to your Instagram bio — it connects your business with potential customers in your local area in an impactful way, boosting your visibility and, ultimately, skyrocketing your sales.
But how can you do this for yourself, too? Here’s how.
Manage all your social media accounts in one place.
Craft, schedule, & auto-post content to all your social channels, then track analytics and manage interactions from a single, easy-to-use dashboard.
How to add a location to your Instagram bio
There are two primary ways to add a location to your Instagram bio.
You can either edit your location through your Facebook page so that it shows up on the Instagram map, or you can drop a link to your location in your bio.
The first method only works if you have an Instagram Business account, while the second works regardless of whether you have a Personal or Business account.
Let’s take a look at both methods.
Method 1: Edit your location through your Facebook page
This method will allow your business location to display on the Instagram Map and be taggable in posts and stories.
For this method to work, you must have an Instagram Business account and a Facebook page for your business. You must also have Facebook access to your page to be able to add or change the address.
Check that you have those, and then proceed as follows:
- From your feed, click on Pages in the left menu.
- Select the page you want to add an address to.
- If you are coming from a personal account, you will see a notification in the bottom left corner of the screen asking you to switch to the page to take more action (you will also see a similar notification just below the page menu). Click Switch, and Facebook will fully switch to your Business page. If you don’t do this, you won’t be able to make any changes to the page.
- When you get to your page, click About on the menu just below your profile picture.
- Select Contact and Basic Info from the left menu. You will see the page’s contact details displayed to the right of the page.
- Below the section titled Contact Info, click Add Your Address, and then type in the address.
- Hit Save.
- Finally, if you haven’t already done this before, connect your Facebook page to your Instagram account by selecting the Instagram tab. And that’s it!
Method 2: Drop a location link in your bio
This method works whether you have a personal or business account. But it won’t work on your computer because editing links on your Instagram profile only works on mobile. You’ll see what we mean in a bit.
These are the basic steps:
- Hop into Google Maps on your phone and search for the specific location you want to add. You can type the address into the search bar to find it.
- Once you find the address or location you want on Google Maps, hit Share, and then tap Copy. This will copy the link to that specific location.
- Close Google Maps and head over to Instagram. Navigate to your profile by tapping on your profile picture on the bottom right of the app’s home screen.
- Tap on Edit Profile.
- Under the Links heading, tap on Add Links.
- On the next screen, tap Add External Link, and then paste in the link you copied from Google Maps. You can give it a title — maybe the name of your business, for example.
- Hit Done, and then go back to your profile.
- Refresh the page by pulling the screen down, and voila! You’ve added a location to your Instagram bio.
Benefits of adding a location to your Instagram bio
- Increased visibility: Adding a location to your Instagram bio increases your discoverability, as people who search online for businesses in your area can find you in the search results. Because Instagram is likely to have better SEO than most small business websites, doing this is an excellent way to get found as it allows you to piggyback off Instagram’s notoriety.
- More engagement: People often like to know you’re a real business before interacting with you. One way to boost that perception of ‘realness’ is to add a location to your Instagram bio. This works because people know that a business with a physical location is less likely to be a fly-by-night firm. Just ask the 67% of people who are more likely to trust a local business than one that operates exclusively online.
- Increased sales: More engagement on your Instagram account is great. But by itself, your engagement rate means nothing unless it translates to increased sales. In this sense, adding a location to your Instagram bio is a twofer. Because people know they can easily find you at a physical location, if something goes wrong, they will be more likely to buy from you. It’s a powerful way to increase trust in your brand.
Final thoughts: How to add a location to your Instagram bio
It only takes five minutes, but adding a location to your Instagram bio can be a great way to increase your brand’s visibility, foster trust, and improve its perceived legitimacy all in one fell swoop. It’s a quick win and an absolute no-brainer.
And whatever you do, be sure to use a relevant location and update it regularly — such as if you move or change your business address. This will help ensure that people can always find you no matter what.