What is Clickbait?
Clickbait definition: clickbait is a term used to describe content with the sole purpose of getting people to click a link to a webpage, often under false pretenses.
Clickbait is most commonly used to drive traffic to content that generates income from advertising.
Clickbait typically consists of three elements:
- Provocatively written headlines
- Sensational images
- Content that doesn’t meet the expectations set
Content is only referred to as clickbait when it is of low quality or does not meet the promise made in the headline.
Some examples of clickbait headlines are:
- A Man Takes A Single Rake to The Beach. And When You Zoom Out And See It… Mind BLOWN.
- This Young Mother Has Something Serious To Say. You Might Not Like It, But You’ll Probably Love It.
- Watch This Incredible Young Woman Render Jon Stewart Speechless
Popularity of the term Clickbait
Concept related to Clickbait
Additional resources about Clickbait
- The dirty secrets of clickbait. This post will blow your mind!
- What is Clickbait and Why Should You Be Careful Using It to Promote Your Business?
- Why Clickbait Works (And Why You Should Do More of It)