What is Competitive Intelligence?
Competitive intelligence definition: competitive intelligence is the act of gathering information about competitors, or the current market situation, to inform decision making.
Actionable competitive intelligence can be gathered through:
- Competitor analysis
- First-hand experiences
- Third-party publications
And used to inform future business and marketing plans and increase a brand’s competitive advantage.
Competitive intelligence is subjective and depends on the person – or department – conducting the analysis.
- Marketers may want to uncover their ad targeting strategy
- Sales reps may want to understand how they approach lead generation
- Customer service reps may want to see what automated systems they use
Competitive intelligence must be performed ethically and legally, and not infringe on the illegal practice of corporate espionage.
Popularity of the term Competitive Intelligence
Concept related to Competitive Intelligence
Additional resources about Competitive Intelligence
- “Competitive Intelligence” Shouldn’t Just Be About Your Competitors
- 6 Steps To Design A Successful Competitive Intelligence Process
- What is Competitive Intelligence?