What is Impulse Buying?
Impulse buying definition: impulse buying is the decision to purchase a product or service without originally planning to.
Impulse buying is usually an emotional decision that is triggered by a number of different stimuli, including:
- Seeing the product
- Hearing a good sales pitch
- Reading positive reviews
- Feeling a certain way
Impulse buying can happen no matter what the product or price point is; from chocolate and cruises to newspapers and necklaces.
- You go out shopping for a new pair of sneakers.
- You find a pair you like, try them on and decide to buy them.
- On the way to the register, you see a t-shirt that will match perfectly.
- You decide to buy the t-shirt too.
This would be an impulse buy.
Popularity of the term Impulse Buying
Concept related to Impulse Buying
Additional resources about Impulse Buying
- Five Reasons We Impulse Buy
- 10 Tactics Retailers Can Use to Encourage Impulse Buying
- 6 Ways to Increase Impulse Buying Online