Loomly integrates with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+ & LinkedIn.
Here is everything you need to know about this limitation.
1. How social media tools publish posts
Social media tools like Loomly publish posts to social networks through Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).
Through their respective APIs, social media platform allow third-party applications to:
- Collect data, for instance to: get your username, your profile picture and the stats of your posts.
- Send data, for instance to: publish a post.
2. Why social media tools cannot post automatically to Instagram
Each social network decides what kind of data third-party applications can collect and send through the API.
While Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+ & LinkedIn all allow third-party applications to publish content to their respective platforms, Instagram does not.
This means that it is technically not possible to post automatically to Instagram through the official Instagram API.
3. The risk of using social media tools that claim to post automatically to Instagram
There are indeed social media tools out there that claim to post to Instagram.
Such tools achieve that in one of two ways:
- Either, they reverse-engineered the official Instagram API and figured out how to bypass the limitation described above: what might sound like a clever hack, is actually an illegal one, as a total violation of Instagram’s Platform Policy (see Section A. General Terms, Item #32).
- Or, they require your username and your password to do so, which is also against Instagram’s Platform Policy (see Section A. General Terms, Item #32), and is against web security 101.
In both cases, by using social media tools that claim to post automatically to Instagram, you are taking significant risks, which could lead to your content being deleted from Instagram, and your account hijacked or banned from the platform.
4. What to do until social media tools are allowed to post automatically to Instagram
Given all the above, we at Loomly obviously went the legal route and implemented the next best thing to automatic publishing, which is an automatic email reminder including the image and the caption of your post.
This will make it easy for you to share your post from a smartphone through a simple copy and paste process.
Of course, should Instagram ever allow third-party applications to publish posts to their platform, Loomly will activate such feature as fast as humanly possible.
We hope this explanation makes sense and encourage you to reach out to us at email@example.com with any question or suggestion.
Thank you so much to you all for your understanding,
The Loomly Team.