What is an Alt Tag?
Alt tag definition: alt tag refers to a piece of HTML code used to provide information about the content of an image.
Alt tags are used in marketing to help search engine crawlers – like those used by Google – to interpret a website’s visual assets.
For example, if you were adding this following image to a website:
You could provide context to the image by adding alt tags such as:
- Countryside river with a hilly backdrop
- Calm river with green embankments
- German countryside with a central river
Popularity of the term Alt Tag
Concept related to Alt Tag
Additional resources about Alt Tag
- Image SEO: alt tag and title tag optimization
- What is an alt tag, and how does it impact SEO
- An Alt Text For Images Guide