What is Metadata?
Metadata definition: metadata is data that helps us interpret and understand other data. It is, in many ways, data about data.
Metadata provides context and insight to many of the actions we take online. For example, when an email is sent, the platform will record:
- Who it was sent to
- When it what sent
- What device was used
Metadata plays an important role in digital marketing; especially for marketers who use:
- Display advertising
- Search engine marketing
- Social media marketing
Metadata can help platforms and marketers to understand and target specific types of metadata. This can include – but is not limited to – the following:
- Targeting demographics
- Showing accurate search results
- Extracting user information
Popularity of the term Metadata
Concept related to Metadata
Additional resources about Metadata
- SEO: Why Is Metadata Important?
- What is Metadata and How it Changes Content into an Asset
- Introduction to Metadata: Metadata and the Web