What is an Influencer?
Influencer definition: influencer refers to a social media user who has the potential to impact buying decisions or raise brand awareness.
Influencers can generally be characterized as:
- Operating in a specific niche
- With a high level of engagement
- Across one or multiple platforms
Influencers can have any number of followers. However, influencers with 10,000 or fewer followers are often called micro-influencers.
Influencers usually charge money for promotion. For example, Kim Kardashian is recorded as charging $500,000 for one Instagram post in 2019.
However, it is not uncommon for influencers – especially those with smaller audiences – to receive other types of compensations, such as:
- Affilitate income
- Access to events
- Discount codes
- Free merchandise
Popularity of the term Influencer
Concept related to Influencer
Additional resources about Influencer
- What is Influencer Marketing: An in Depth Look at Marketing’s Next Big Thing
- Influencer Marketing: A Beginner’s Guide On What It Is and How to Get Started