Facebook is the largest social network in the world and attracts people from all age groups. It’s just one of the reasons that all types of organization – including global brands, local businesses, celebrities, and non-profit charities – use the social platform:
- More than 200 million businesses use Facebook to connect with customers.
- More than 10 million brands (the vast majority of which are small and medium-sized businesses) actively advertise across Facebook services.
But you may be wondering how much it costs to run a Facebook marketing campaign and if Facebook marketing really works?
In this Facebook marketing FAQ, the Loomly team answers all your burning questions.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is Facebook marketing?
- What is the difference between Facebook marketing and advertising?
- Does Facebook marketing work?
- Why should I run Facebook marketing campaigns?
- What are the pros and cons of Facebook marketing?
- How do I start marketing on Facebook?
- Is Facebook marketing free?
- How much does it cost to run a Facebook marketing campaign?
- How much do Facebook marketers make?
- Who are the best Facebook marketers to follow?
What is Facebook marketing?
Facebook is a social media platform that lets you post, share, like, react, and comment on other content from friends and brands. It’s the world’s largest social network, with more than 2.74 billion monthly active users worldwide:
Facebook marketing refers to actively using a Facebook (business) page as a marketing channel to attract and maintain contact with fans and customers.
Individuals, companies, organizations, or any group can use Facebook’s various content styles to develop a fan base for their product, service, or brand.
What is the difference between Facebook marketing and advertising?
Facebook marketing refers to any tactic taken by brands to promote their products and services, including both free and paid activities.
Facebook advertising refers only to the paid advertising tactics used by brands to promote their products and services, and is just one component of a Facebook marketing strategy.
Does Facebook marketing work?
The short answer is yes – Facebook advertising works incredibly well.
Why should I run Facebook marketing campaigns?
There are five reasons why you should run Facebook marketing campaigns:
- Your audience is on Facebook
- Facebook ads are cheap
- The targeting capabilities of Facebook are exceptional
- Facebook is effective to push on-the-fence leads down the funnel
- Facebook allows you to find new qualified leads easily
What are the pros and cons of Facebook marketing?
Here are the pros and cons of Facebook marketing.
- Large audience potential
- Fantastic targeting capabilities
- You can talk directly to your customers
- Pay to play
- It’s easy for your page to go south
- It requires commitment
How do I start marketing on Facebook?
Here are the four steps to creating a Facebook marketing campaign:
- Create a Facebook page
- Complete as much detail as possible
- Upload your company logo as your profile image
- Fill the page with image and video posts
- Write the perfect post containing:
- A singular goal or objective
- A clear call-to-action (CTA)
- Short, concise, clear wording
- Eye-catching title
- The tone of voice to match the personality
- An image (with a link) or video
- Use Facebook marketing tools
- Pin a post to the top of your page
- “Boost your post” to target specific audiences
- Use the CTA button with phrases like “Book Now” and “Sign Up”
- Research audience engagement and schedule posts optimally
- Create Facebook ads and track their success
- Monitor and make adjustments
- Use Facebook Insights to monitor campaigns and make necessary adjustments in the future
Is Facebook marketing free?
Follow these five steps to market on Facebook for free:
- Create and enhance your Facebook business page
- Sign up for a Facebook page
- Choose the correct category
- Enter your business information
- Claim a vanity URL
- Choose appealing pictures
- Complete your about section
- Describe your business story
- Get reviews
- Get fans to like your Facebook business page
- Target the right Facebook audience
- Add the Facebook icon wherever you can
- Ask people in person
- Ask people online
- Get involved on Facebook
- Be creative
- Share valuable content and engage your audience
- Post an interesting article
- Post an inspirational or funny quote
- Post pictures of your customers
- Ask people to tag a friend
- Ask a question
- Post a video
- Optimize your Facebook business posts
- Track which Facebook posts are doing the best
- Create a schedule for your high-performing Facebook posts
- Consider paying to boost a post on Facebook
- Promote and offer a deal
- Focus on customer benefits
- Pin a promotion
How much does it cost to run a Facebook marketing campaign?
The cost of Facebook ads depends on your bidding model, such as cost-per-click (CPC) or cost-per-thousand-impressions (CPM).
Using data pulled from all AdEspresso users from all quarters of 2019 and the first three quarters of 2020, reveals the following Facebook Ad cost averages with all currencies converted into USD.
The average CPC in 2017 was $0.40, and in 2020, it was $0.39:
Various factors determine how much Facebook ads cost, including:
- Ad Budget
- Ad Bid
- Ad Objective
- Ad Placement
- Ad Quality
For example, when it comes to driving traffic, conversions and link clicks objectives have the lowest cost:
How much do Facebook marketers make?
The more experienced the freelancer is, the higher pay they will get. Freelance marketer rates can be either on an hourly basis from $20 – $50 an hour or per project between $200 and $1000 depending on Facebook marketing skills and knowhow.
The latest figures (April 2021) from Upwork for the 27 best freelance Facebook marketers range from $10/hour – $215 /hour.
You can make an exceptional living as a Facebook ad manager, according to Saura Johnston:
- I have run commission campaigns for info products and requested 33.3% of all sales.
- I have run event campaigns where I received $5 of every ticket and a starting retainer of $1,000.
- I have worked as an independent ad manager for $300-$500/ month for service providers and brick-and-mortar stores, with ad spend between $3,500 and $5,000.
- I have worked as an ad manager at an agency, earning around $55k + $10k-$15k in commissions.
Who are the best Facebook marketers to follow?
The top 6 Facebook marketers to follow are:
- Ben Simkin
- Curt Maly
- Ryan Stewman
- Kim Garst
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Shama Hyder
Manage all your social media accounts in one place.
Craft, schedule, & auto-post content to all your social channels, then track analytics and manage interactions from a single, easy-to-use dashboard.
Facebook Marketing in a Nutshell
Facebook marketing, including paid advertising, is one of the most successful types of marketing mainly because of its large, diverse and broad audience.