What is Share of Voice?
Share of voice definition: share of voice is the amount of exposure a brand receives in a specific marketplace or at a stage in the sales process.
Share of voice is always calculated by working out the total market percentage and then dividing a brand’s metrics by that number:
Your metric / Total market metrics = share of voice
Where calculations differ is the metric being used and how it relates to the media channel.
- Advertising: a brand’s total advertising spend / total market advertising spend
- Social media: number of brand mentions / total industry brand mentions
- Search marketing: a brand’s search traffic / total industry search traffic
It is worth noting that is considered impossible to get an exact figure for share of voice and these calculations should be used as a guideline to:
- Measure brand awareness
- Gain competitor insights
- Track growth
Popularity of the term Share of Voice
Concept related to Share of Voice
Additional resources about Share of Voice
- 4 Ways to Increase Share of Voice
- Share of voice: a quick guide for marketers
- Why Share of Voice Is the Metric That Will Continue to Matter